Thursday, April 20, 2006

Orange Blossoms and Irises

I love the town I grew up in. We're an "All American City" with a lot of home town charm. It is always a pleasure to write stories about my town.

Every April, Porterville is blanketed with the lingering scent of orange blossoms, but since the town is surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of acres of citrus, it is no surprise.

Still, every year, I am pleasantly reminded of how great it smells. You can smell it every evening, for miles and miles. (Not good for those suffering from asthma or allergy)

Irises too, are everywhere. It is the official city flower. And Porterville is home to the world renowned Sutton Iris Gardens, with more than 100 acres of blooming iris of all colors -- as far as the eye can see. It is breathtaking beautiful!

I recently had an opportunity to write about the Iris flowers. I had four stories in today's newspaper.

You can see my stories here:
Iris Festival Brings More than just Beauty to Porterville
Sutton's Iris Gardens
Sampath Takes a Shine to Colorful Iris
Caring For and Planting Irises

No comments:

Post a Comment