Saturday, April 15, 2006

AW Monday Meme #15


Dawno has posted another Meme' - thanks Dawno. 

I love reminiscing.

The Rules: The first player of this game starts with the topic and people who get tagged need to write an entry about it as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose the next person to be tagged and link to their web journals. Don’t forget to leave a comment in their blog or journal that says “You have been tagged” (assuming they take comments) and tell them to read yours.

OK - From Dawno:
Time to dig into your past! Just use your best recollection – no need to go digging around in the attic or cellar for this stuff.

1. Do you have a picture of yourself as an infant, toddler or youngster in your own scrapbook, picture album or shoebox? If so, how old were you? What where you doing?
I wish I had pics of me as a child. We had a camera but most of the pics are of my older sisters or my baby sister. I was lost in the family, I guess. But I do have one of me at age 4. My sister emailed it to me last summer. I'll have to search for it. I am standing next to a tree, holding my skirt out to the sides. On my left arm, you can see a rather large bandage. The picture was taken a few days after I fell off a tall cherry tree. On the way down, I ripped my arm half off. I was unconscious and lost so much blood , I almost died. (ripped my artery) If I can find it in my computer, I'll come back and post it. [note: couldn't find it but i did run into this one - age 7 - my birthday]

2. What is the oldest piece of clothing you have in your closet. What is it? Do you wear it or just keep it for sentimental purposes, or because you haven’t had time to give it away yet? I have a short green dress with some horses on it. I loved that dress. (size 5) I bought it while on vacation in Guadalajara when I was 16 and up until five years ago, it still fit. Now my 16-year-old daughter can fit into it. (but doesn't wear it)


3. Do you have any souvenirs? If so, what is the oldest one, where is it from and how did you come to have it? I have some Disneyland tickets - the old ones, I have mainly "A" tickets but also a couple of the good ones -- the "E" tickets. I was 10 years old the first time I went to Disneyland. In those days, you had to buy a ticket book or individual tickets to get on rides. The "E" tickets were the best ones.


4. Do you have an appliance, utensil, dish, glass, platter, etc., or cooking implement in the kitchen that you got from a relative when you moved away from home? What is it and who gave it to you? I have a couple of dishes that my mom gave me when I moved away from home. They were from her own china set.
I also have a couple of very nice tea cups and a butter dish (yellow flowers) given to me by a very close friend. It used to belong to his mother. I was also given a couple of "baby" dishes the same person made with his own little hands in kindergarten.

5. What’s the oldest thing in your medicine cabinet? (and maybe it’s time to toss out the expired stuff!) I don't have a medicine cabinet. I keep a small plastic container in the kitchen with tylenol, benadryl and aspirin, but that's about it. And none of it is old. I'm never really sick. I'm very healthy.


6. Was the place you currently live in occupied prior to you? Did they leave anything behind? What? If not, have you ever heard any stories about folk who lived there before you did and would you share one? My home is awesome! It was built in 1904 and is listed with the city as a historical home. There is a book at Borders (bookstore) with historical homes and my home is there. It was once home to Visalia's first mayor.


7. Do you have any old IDs, business cards or other bits of old flotsam in your purse/wallet? What is the oldest thing there and why do you keep it? I have too many purses. Most are empty. No old Id's but I keep finding ticket stubs to previous baseball games I've attended, dating back to 1999. I keep the stubs to all the games I attend. The most games in one season -- 69 out of 70 home games (I only missed a Sunday afternoon game - on Mother's Day)


8. Do you have your yearbooks? When was the last time you looked at them? What is the thing you like most about your favorite yearbook? What’s the thing you like least about your least favorite yearbook? (I don’t know if this is a ‘global’ question – so forgive me if you are from somewhere that getting a yearbook is not a tradition) I love my yearbooks! I keep one shelf on one of my bookcase for just yearbooks (mine plus my three daughters have them now) and for all the "Who's Who Among American High School Students" books. I also have my Junior High yearbooks and my Reunion yearbooks.

The oldest yearbook is my 7th grade one - I was on the yearbook staff in 8th grade. What I love most is that I can go back and remember the good times, particularly band. I love reading some of the entries. I last looked at it about a month ago. Two of my daughters go to school with the sons of someone I was in band with. (Jim Kusserow, who is now the band director at my old alma mater) They were curious as to how he looked when he was young. I took it out and they laughed like crazy, at me, at him, at everyone else. Everyone had the 70's long hair look.


9. Do you have any old key(s)? Do you know what it/they’re for? Why did you keep it/them?
I have a roller-skate key. :-) I also have a set of "skeleton" keys for my home. My home was built in 1904. It is absolutely beautiful - lots of sliding doors - and they lock with old fashion skeleton keys.


10. 100 years from now, what would you wish someone had as a memento of you?
I used to say a classic story I've written but I'm not sure that matters any more. What matters is what we have now.

I have to see who I can tag - not sure who has done it already.
So, to quote my Governor: "I'll be back."



As promised - I am back and am tagging: Paprika - since her last AW meme entry was in January.

2 comments:

  1. I love this meme - it's like reading everyone's mini-memoirs! Thank you so much for doing it.

    BTW - I copied your question about putting a blogroll in your blog on the Techies thread over at AW Blogging forum. I think you'll find some help there.

    Happy Easter - hope the weather is nice there (raining here)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dawno. Yes, this meme is fun. Thanks for making it.

    ReplyDelete