Sunday, May 07, 2006

Another odd day

My mother is not doing well. (Today she gave me a good scare but then pulled through)

Yesterday was another odd day. It was beautiful out and I thought I'd take her outside for a little while. I wheeled her out to the patio and she kept staring out into space and started talking to someone. "Yes, yes, I'm coming," she had said.

When I asked who she was talking to, she turned to me and said, "My mother. She keeps calling me. I keep seeing her everytime I turn around."

Her mother died many years ago.

I've received a few very nice emails -- thank you very much for that. It means a lot to me.

As to my writing. I did cover the Cinco de Mayo parade yesterday while my sister took over. And, I survived my daughter's birthday party and I even wrote two stories. (One advance and the parade story.)

Today: My editor was kind enough to find a different reporter to cover today's events. I had called him to tell him that my mother was quite bad and that I didn't think I was in any shape to cover a story. But when I didn't hear back from him and my mother stabilized, I decided I could do it. I was driving out when he called me and told me to make a U-turn and go back to my family. I did just that. God bless him.

5 comments:

  1. to me an odd day is when I wake up to find the cat urinated on the ac unit outside again.... thats an odd day for me.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. I'm thankful that didn't happen here. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about your mom, but at least you have a kind and understanding editor. Not many people can say they have such luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear your mother is doing better and you survived the birthday party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, my mom's better, thanks. I spent this morning visiting my sister in Fresno at the hospital and then the afternoon with my mom and taking her to the doctor for a checkup.
    Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete