Sunday, February 26, 2006

Finally catching up

I have a new freelance record this month -- I have had more stories than I could almost keep up with. Don't get me wrong, it was very exciting and I loved doing it, but there were times that I felt overwhelmed.

Besides my regular weekly story for the Fresno Bee, I took on a couple of extra stories for them. Add to that the stories from World Ag Expo (two to three a day for a week) and my agriculture stories -- 10 stories about the county's top 10 commodities, and some regular stories for the Porterville newspaper -- and we are talking more than 30 articles in one month's time.

But ask me if I love it?

YES!

If I didn't have four children and an elderly mother to look after, I'd jump at the chance of getting back on with my old hometown paper. My editor had stopped by a couple of weeks ago and told me that there was a Features Editor position open as well as a general assignment opening.

I keep telling myself that I am waiting for my magazine-writing career to take off. I'm getting close. I have not heard from Readers Digest about my two submissions, but I did get an interesting offer to write an article for a trade-journal magazine. That is just the beginning!

This will be another busy week for me. I will be covering the California Music Educators Association music festival for three of the four days. I love band and love to cover any band-related stories. Plus, it does not hurt that I will have two daughters performing there too.

I still need to complete three agriculture stories, and I have my first interview for the trade-journal story scheduled on Tuesday.

When it comes to my novel, I have not worked on it much. I'm too busy with everything else. I am going to concentrate on completing all of my current assignments first.

Then I can return to my happy midnight writing!

Oh - one more interesting bit of information. I have signed up for a writers' workshop in Southern California. I'll be gone from April 28th to the 30th. I'm very excited about it.
I thought of going to the Mad Anthony Writer's Conference in Ohio, also in April ( especially since I found a great deal on airflight) but I decided against it since I have several other short trips planned in the next couple of months.

2 comments:

  1. I'd recommend NOT going back to the paper if you have a choice. If you don't need the full-time income, don't take the full-time job.

    My magazine career is almost non-existent now, and my novel is suffering... because the paper is draining my creative energy. I love that I'm making a living writing, but this isn't the life I dreamed of...

    I'm not complaining, but if I had the choice, I'd be concentrating on my freelance career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mark. That's exactly what I'm doing. As much as I'd love to accept, my passion for my novel and other writing is greater...

    Now, If I can only finish all these pre-assigned stories! I have three left this w/end and then one final story next week. Then I can concentrate on finishing my first-ever trade journal article that is due next week.

    ReplyDelete