Saturday, June 17, 2006

Don't ask why, don't ask how ... Love me now

"Until It is Time For You To Go" -- I had forgotten all about this song until Hans commented on it on my Hans post.

It is a song by Buffy Saint Marie. Hans sent it to me once, many years ago. I remember practically tearing apart the package that had arrived from Holland. Hans had told me of how he was driving one day and had heard the song on the radio -- the wording was so appropriate. It was almost as if Ms. Buffy was singing about us -- and we would enjoy what we had until it was time to go. I could not find the song here in the United States, so he bought me the CD and sent it to me.

I listened to the song and it touched me too. The voice was different - almost mesmerizing in its own way -- but I think it was the words that really got me.

I called my best friend at the time -- Liz.
She came over later and she listened to it with tears.

"That is so beautiful," she said. "It's so sad but so beautiful."

The words drifted through the room as we sat there speechless on the bed, listening to the song again and again...


I'm not a king I'm not a saint I'm a man
You're not a queen you're a woman take my hand
We'll make a space in the lives that we planned
And here we'll stay until it's time for you to go

Don't ask why don't ask how
Don't ask forever love me now

This love of mine had no beginning it has no end
I was an oak now I'm a willow now I can bend
And though I'll never in my life see you again
Still I'll stay until it's time for you to go

Don't ask why of me don't ask how of me
Don't ask forever of me love me love me now

I'm not a king I'm not a saint...

"What does all this mean?" I had asked Liz, even though I pretty much knew.

"Don't ask why or how -- just enjoy it until it is time for it to be no more," she answered.

As it turned out, that time came faster than I anticipated. Our time was not long. I did meet my Hans in Holland a few months later, it was sweet, but it did not last. I didn't expect it to. We lived worlds apart - literally. We were also totally different. Even if I wanted to, I could not be a part of his world - it was too different, too wild, too "wrong."

I am glad we met and I never did anything I regretted. But it was time to go.

Now, I can't help but think of how many times couples are faced with similar moments.

Should they just enjoy each other until it is time to go? Or should there be something deeper? Just how much commitment should be expected and when?

Or is it ok sometimes to just enjoy something until it is no more?

I believed in forever once upon a time - but no more. Maybe some day, that will change again.

And though I'll never in my life see you again
Still I'll stay until it's time for you to go

Don't ask why of me don't ask how of me
Don't ask forever of me love me love me now

No comments:

Post a Comment