It seems that with each passing year, time speeds up and zooms by me - and I, literally, don't know where the year goes. That was not the case this year. This was my debut freelancing year - and I loved it. It was a productive year.
Some of my writing accomplishments for 2005
- finally left my newspaper job to pursue other writing endeavors (but I miss the newspaper so much)
- finally said "no" to being secretary and a board member for baseball booster club (after 7 yrs)
- wrote a short story for anthology Stories of Strength - my first published story
- learned a lot about book promotion (this will come in handy with my next book)
- finished a manuscript and mailed it off
- finished a childrens' book and mailed it off
- recorded a commercial for Bakersfield Californian newspaper/magazine - and got paid very well for it. (fluke thing too - I was speaking with someone about a writing assignment and the person on the phone said I had a great voice and before I knew it, one thing led to another)
- debut Nanowrimo - I didn't make it to 50k because of other commitments and my freelance assignments - but I did start a new novel and I love it and can't wait to finish it
- joined AW - best thing I ever did (and I made some awesome friends along the way)
- I registered my name
- started my own website
- started this blog
- took an online journalism class
New goals for 2006?
I will work on my novel - finish it and polish it and begin looking for agent representation.
Submit two magazine queries a month
Complete two more Childrens' books
Continue to freelance
Attend my first Writers Workshop
There are personal goals too - but I left those out and concentrated only on writing goals.