Thursday, April 19, 2018

Autumn Leaves


Autumn has always been my most favorite time of the year. Sweater Weather is what I call it out here in Central California. It's a reprieve from our scorching weather - but never cold enough to require more than a light sweater.


It's odd to be writing about Fall when Spring just arrived. But I love it and there's a reason for this blog post.

In 2006, I was listening to the playlist provided on my plane as I flew home from the East Coast.



Suddenly there was Nat King Cole singing about Autumn. But I did not catch the name of the song. For weeks I tried to find it. However, I thought it was Summer Leaves for some reason, and I ended up finding Summer Wind - which I also love. I always wondered about it. What song was it? Why can't I find it? I finally convinced myself I would never find it and I stopped looking for it.

Then last week, out of the blue, I found it by another artist. I have a large selection of LP albums which I play on my record player in my bedroom. I play The Best of Bread every day. I play Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra .... and yes, Donny Osmond too, quite often. But this time I decided to play
Tom Jones. I was in a "What's up, Pussycat?" kind of mood and started playing my Tom Jones collection. On Side B of one of them, I suddenly heard the Autumn lyrics I searched for so long....... I could not believe it. I had found the name of the song - the last song on the last Tom Jones LP I played. And I almost stopped it but saw there was one song left, and decided to leave it.

I love Nat King Cole's version. Melancholy.
Autumn Leaves
The falling leaves drift by the window
The autumn leaves of red and gold
I see your lips, the summer kisses
The sun-burned hands I used to hold
Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song
But I miss you most of all my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall
Since you went away the days grow long
And soon I'll hear old winter's song
But I miss you most of all my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall





No comments:

Post a Comment