Saturday, January 07, 2017

The Problem with Moving


In the past, I've had a problem with going through stored belongings. In other words, it would take me a long time to sift through my things. And by things - I am referring to paperwork and other stuff which I have no idea why it was not thrown out in the first place. Thing is - before I could throw it away, I wanted to sift through it. All of it. Until recently.

Now I am moving  and I am finding it easier and easier to just throw out stuff. Suddenly, I just don't care. I just want to finish moving. I don't care as much. I'm careful with things I am sentimental over, but everything else.....out it goes!

(Family: I said MY STUFF - I know some of you have accused me of throwing out mom's things, but I am specifically talking about my own stuff at my own home. I have not gone through mom's things yet.)

It's been interesting. I found like 12 bottles of White Linen (my signature perfume since graduating from high school) saved. For the most part they were empty except for a tiny bit of the scented concoction at the bottom of the bottle. I took a deep breath and threw them away. Then I had a change of heart and took out two of the thrown bottles and kept them - lol - because, well, they had more than "just a little bit" of perfume at the bottom of the bottle. Maybe I can figure out how to extract it. I actually went to Macys once to complain about not being able to take out or use the last of the perfume. I mean, why should I buy another bottle if I can make one full bottle by combining all the "left behind" perfume.

I must also have at least 50 bank boxes of papers - newspapers, kids' school papers, receipts, etc. But for some reason, I feel like I need to go through all of them before tossing them out. Unfortunately, many of them need to be shredded, so it's not as easy to throw those away.

Recently, (about three months now) I started watching "The Big Bang Theory" and love the show. (It's just silly. Plus I have actually learned a few things.) A few days ago, I watched the episode where Sheldon has Amy, his "girlfriend," drive him to a storage unit where he confesses to her he has a problem with throwing things out -- the unit has everything he has ever owned since he was born.

Ok, I'm not that bad - but I do have a lot of unnecessary stuff. I still have my college pom poms and megaphone, the newspapers bearing my first printed stories (Arrowhead Newspaper) and who knows what else.

I did pretty good when I started cleaning - getting a lot accomplished each day. Things have slowed down a bit - but just a bit. Suddenly, knowing what the final goal is, it's easier to throw out things.

Afterall......

"My world is changing, I'm rearranging.....I'm not the same one....see what the time's done...."

No comments: